School History

The first portion of the school was dedicated on August 28, 1954 and named after Walter M. Williams. Walter Williams was a successful pitcher in the major leagues from 1902 to 1905. He then became involved in town politics serving as a selectman for the town of Topsham from 1912–1957.
In 1968, the John A. Cone School was built adjacent to the existing Walter M. Williams School. . The Cone School was named after John A. Cone, who was Superintendent of the Topsham/ Brunswick School Department from 1909 to 1923. In 1938, the name of the Topsham Village School was changed to the 'John A. Cone School.' That original building burned in 1965.
 Four additions have been made to the Williams and Cone Schools, with the last being completed in 1997. The last addition included a structure that connected the Williams School to the Cone School. From then on, the school has been known as the Williams-Cone School.
CC license @

John A Cone School

          In 2013 Williams-Cone School achieved the honor of National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.